Thursday, May 30, 2013

#34 Basil + Brussels Sprout Mac and Cheese

I had some basil I wanted to use up and saw that Brussels sprouts were still in the market so I thought I'd try this one out.  The recipe was found courtesy of Brit & Co. and can be found here.






This recipe was kind of surprising because in addition to making a roux you also used heavy (or whipping) cream.  Even though I was doubtful about how it would turn out I followed the directions faithfully.  Normally you would make a roux with milk and using the heavy cream made the sauce gluey in appearance and consistency.  It may have helped if less flour were used and I thought the half cup called for may have been a typo.

I didn't make the salad to accompany this - I was in a rush to get dinner on the table and that's one of the reasons I love recipes with heaps of veggies included as I feel okay with not serving an additional side of veggies.

I was very worried with how it would turn out because of the nature of the sauce.  I thought this might be extremely dry because the sauce didn't even seem to mix in well with the veggies and noodles before baking.  Anyway I was pleasantly surprised that it turned out pretty good.  I love the combination of Brussels sprouts, cheese and basil.  I'd definitely recommend this one.

No comments: