Friday, April 5, 2013

#33 Linda McCartney's Baked Macaroni and Cheese

I really, really wanted this to be good.  I'm totally inspired by Linda McCartney.  She was a pioneer in vegetarian cooking and did so much to make it mainstream.  I'm absolutely dying to try her products from her food line but sadly they are not available in North America.

I knew from reading this recipe that there weren't going to be any surprises but I somehow hoped that there was some magical about the recipe that I was missing and it would come together in an unexpected way.  That wasn't the case however.  I've made similar recipes to this using evaporated milk in place or regular milk and they turned out infinitely better.  The cheese didn't mix into the milk very well and the result was milky and tasteless with bits of melted cheese.  We all used plenty of salt and pepper to make our individual portions more tasty.

very basic ingredients

  some butter, breadcrumbs and Parmesan would have been nice on top

I used 1% milk, whole milk might have worked better

I won't be trying this again but I will gladly try some of Mrs. McCartney's Farmhouse Pies.


3/4 lb macaroni, uncooked
1 egg
2 c milk (I recommend whole or homogonized milk)
2 T butter
2 1/2 c Cheddar cheese, grated
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.  Lightly boil the macaroni for about 5 minutes until half cooked.

Whisk the egg and milk together in a large cup.  Melt the butter and add it, with the grated cheese, to the egg and milk.  Stir well.

Place the lightly cooked macaroni in a greased baking dish.  Pour the egg and cheese liquid over the macaroni, sprinkle with salt and pepper and stir well.  Press the mixture evenly around the baking dish.  Bake, uncovered, for 30-40 minutes, until the top is brown.

Recipe adapted from Linda McCartney's Home Cooking

1 comment:

Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies said...

Bummer that it didn't turn out! Sometimes I see recipes like that too--they seem so simple, you think, this MUST be amazing. And then, nope, it isn't.