Wednesday, April 3, 2013

#32 Macaroni and Cheese with Tofu

image via Moosewood

I was really looking forward to this one because the Moosewood cookbooks are my favourite.  Just about everything I have ever made has been delicious.  That said, I was slightly disappointed with how this turned out.  I think I can narrow down the culprits.  Number one, two teaspoons prepared mustard was too much.  I think if I were to make this again I would either make it one teaspoon of prepared or two teaspoons dijon which imparts a more delicate flavour.  This was also really yellow in colour which I think was due in part to the mustard and the tumeric.  I've seen tumeric added to macaroni and cheese in vegan recipes but not in dairy ones.


Secondly I just don't think there was enough cheese.  I think they purposely cut down on the amount to make the recipe fewer calories and "healthier" but even though I used a really sharp cheddar the flavour was completely masked by the mustard.  So, if the mustard was changed and maybe a half cup more cheese was added this could be great.


It wasn't really creamy but more dense similar to when mac and cheese is baked with an egg.  I think silken tofu is an excellent addition to beef up the protein content.  So the final verdict was okay but definitely would be better with a few minor tweaks.



12 oz (3 c) elbow noodles or similar

cheese sauce
12 oz low fat silken tofu
1/2 c low-fat (1%) milk
1/2 c nonfat plain yogurt
1 c grated extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, packed
1/4 c grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 t pressed garlic cloves
2 t prepared yellow mustard
1/2 t salt, more to taste
1/4 t freshly ground black pepper
1/4 t tumeric
pinch of nutmeg

1/4 c minced onions
1/4 c chopped fresh parsley
1/2 breadcrumbs (I used a mixture of whole wheat and panko) mixed with 1/4 c grated Cheddar cheese

Preheat the oven to 350.  Lightly brush or spray a 2-quart baking dish with oil.

Bring a large covered pot of lightly salted water to a boil.  When the water boils, stir in the pasta and return to a boil.  Cook until al dente (about 6 minutes).  Meawhile, in a food processor or blender, combine all of the Cheese Sauce ingredients and puree or pulse until smooth.  Add more salt to taste.

Drain the cooked pasta.  In a large bowl, mix together the pasta and cheese sauce.  Stir in the onions and parsley and spoon the pasta into the prepared baking dish.  Top with the bread crumb mixture.

Bake covered for about 30 minutes, then uncover and bake for 5 minutes more.

We served this with a simple green salad for supper.  Serves 4 to 6.

Recipe adapted from The Moosewood Restaurant New Classics

This recipe runs at about 435 calories per serving and 11 Weight Watchers Points for those of you who are counting.

No comments: